History

 

NAPAJEDLA CASTLE

The town of Napajedla with almost 8,000 inhabitants lies on the boundary between the Upper and Lower Moravian Vales, on the Morava River, which has created here on meadow alluvium a number of oxbow lakes. The first written reference to a small town dates to 1362. The town began to blossom in the 16th century, at which time Napajedla was in possession of the House of Zierotin, a Moravian family renowned for its humanistic tradition. A distinctive landmark of the town is the “new castle” built between 1764 and 1769. The castle was built as a late Baroque residence by Antonín “Mates” Slováček, a mason master from Židlochovice, according to plans of František Antonín Grimm, a Brno architect. The residence in French Baroque style was commissioned by Anna Maria von Rottal, married to Guidobald von Dietrichstein. František Antonín Grimm also designed castles in Bystřice pod Hostýnem and Vizovice. Compared to those, the castle of Napajedla is more graceful and mighty and also the inside of the castle was designed more generously. Napajedla Castle can be considered the final stage of evolution of the “Italian villa” in the region of Moravia.

Napajedla Castle was built in late French Baroque style. It is an elegant, simple, detached, two-wing U-shape building. Its three floors housed, apart from servants' rooms and bathrooms, over 50 residential rooms. The dominant feature of the castle is most certainly a beautiful circular hall of mirrors, which was mainly used for receiving guests or for dancing on festive occasions. Among a number of interesting rooms you can find the room of Dutch masters, the Baroque lounge and a spacious dining hall. The high ceilings of the rooms on the first floor are richly stuccoed.

The entrance with the main staircase is situated in the eastern part of the building. In the northern part there is a terrace with a cellar underneath. The building, whose impressiveness is enhanced by its location, is a monument of undeniable quality from the point of view of the history of Moravian Baroque architecture. It makes a distinctive contribution to European art movements of the last third of the 18th century. The construction of the castle continued also after the manor was inherited by the Houses of Cobenzl, Stockau and Baltazzi. Especially the last mentioned family went down in the history of Napajedla Castle as they founded a stud farm with English purebreds in 1886. During the ownership of Marie Baltazzi in the first half of the 20th century, the castle underwent Neo-Baroque construction modifications and it has been little modified since. It is surrounded by a ten-hectare park, mostly designed in English style, with many rare woody plants and a romantic pond with water lilies, situated in the middle of the park.

Today the castle is in private hands and is gradually being renovated. The whole premises are significant both for Zlín Region and for the town of Napajedla. The premises are not only of historical and cultural value but they are also a perfect place for relaxation, the centre of cultural and sporting life and a pleasant point for social encounters. The castle is a unique place for organizing wedding ceremonies or wedding dinner parties, family celebrations and various company and social events.